new layout

Saturday, November 2, 2013

November 2nd

Today marks 3 years since a day that will forever be burned in my mind; a day that changed my life, and the life of many of the people that I love.  On November 2, 2010 heaven gained an angel, a “Poppy” angel as we like to call him.

Looking back 3 years can seem like a really long time, but it can also seem like it has flown by.  The days still come and go and sometimes a certain day or event hurts more than others.

Last year was a special November 2nd.  On November 2, 2012 we learned that our family of four would soon be a family of five.  I had not been feeling well for a couple weeks but because of other events I didn’t think that it was due to pregnancy.  Then in late October I remember uttering something like “If I am not pregnant then there is something else wrong with me, because this is just not right”.  Chris went out and purchased a pregnancy test.  Then I had a thought, what if I waited to take the test.  It was late October; I felt pretty terrible already, what would a couple more days of waiting hurt, right?  So I decided I was going to take the test on November 2nd.

This was my chance to make that date on the calendar mean more to me that hurt and sadness.  So the morning of November 2nd I crawled out of bed feeling just plain sick (as I had for the previous weeks).  But I had something to look forward to; I went straight to the bathroom.  I read the instructions (even after doing this two times before I wanted to be sure I did it right) and followed exactly as directed.  After only a few minutes I had a smile on my face and went to tell Chris the news. 
 
Indeed the rush of emotion was a great way to start the day.  It made the illness and sickness all feel like it was worth it – a baby was joining our family; but even more than that, it made November 2nd a day of celebration.  Although the celebration was only among Chris and I as we were not sharing our news yet.  It still was a reason to smile on a day that I have a hard time finding those reasons.

So this year on November 2nd I am still sad, there will always be memories and images that will surround this day that are difficult to suppress.  But this year I look at our almost 5 month old daughter and think “Life is Good”.Plain and simple “I am blessed.”

 Yes we meet again November 2nd, and yes there is still sadness in my heart, but also I am thankful for my beautiful family of five.  We all have a special guardian angel in heaven.  Four of the five of us were lucky enough to meet him here on earth, but the fifth one – she and poppy have a special connection, a shared name.  Kendall Christine, named for her special angel Poppy Ken.

 

No comments: