new layout

Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Schwieso's Great Pumpkin (plant)

I am not even sure how to start this post . . . a few disclosures:
1. I have the opposite of a green thumb, if you want a plant to live keep it far from me.
2. Just by posting this and telling people about this plant (that miraculously is thriving) it will most likely kick the bucket soon.
3. The only saving grace that this pumpkin plant has is that it was completely unintentional.


Let me start at the beginning. My Dad was known for his "fall" displays that he would put up every year at the farm. He would use corn stalks and then add gourds and pumpkins and make these beautiful displays. 2 years ago he took Aubrey with him to chop down the corn in the field, she was 1 1/2 and doesn't remember, but he sure did. So last year (October 2010)when it came time for the displays I asked Dad to make one for us as well. Our front yard has a light pole that I thought would be perfect. My Dad picked up Aubrey and off they went to chop down the corn and gather all of the gourds and pumpkins for our display and the ones at the farm. They had a great afternoon/evening together; lots of quality grandpa & granddaughter time. Of course I didn't get a pic of the display, but it was great. Of course I had no idea that afternoon trip with Poppy would be one of Aubrey's last. But it just makes me even happier that she did it.


A couple months later the pumpkins had begun to rot on the botttom and it was time to clean up the display. And then 6-7 months later after the snow had cleared I tried to pick as many of the left over pumpkin seeds out of the lawn. As you can see from the photos, I didn't do such a great job (thankfully).


Can you believe this large pumpkin plant was unintentional? I have to say I am so happy it happened. I think Poppy would be proud of the vine that is taking over our lawn. I look at it and think that he must have a hand in it's success this far, because lord knows I don't have good luck with plants.


So thank you Poppy for the display last fall and for the amazing reminder of your influence in our lives, I see that influence so often, not just in our front yard pumpkin plant :)

Miss you so much!

No comments: