As I got older I understood even more how much these days meant (along with Mother's Day). It was a chance to tell my Dad genuinely "Thank you". Thanks for making me learn to change the tire on my Grand Am, even though I am sure I rolled my eyes when you explained the steps and made me practice. Thanks for shooting baskets with me in front of the garage, I could never nail that 3 pointer (you know the one where you were practically to the machine shed you were so far out) lord knows I tried, and was in awe as you could hit the shot EVERYtime without fail. Thanks for teaching me the value of hard-work and a hard-earned dollar, I know that I whined when we would buy a butterfinger and ice cream at the grocery store rather than taking the family to Dairy Queen, but now, years later, I get it.
Maybe that is why it is so hard for me, everyday more and more I understand the value in all of those lessons and memories and I don't get to tell you. I am sorry that I didn't tell you enough just how awesome of a dad you were. Yesterday was so hard without you here. It was hard for all of us, the girls miss their Poppy, I miss my Dad, Chris misses you, Mom misses you, Tricia & Cory miss you. It is just not the same, I know you would have loved to see us last night we would have visited you and Mom at the farm and you would have played with the girls, probably took them for a spin on the lawn mower and showed off your beautiful lawn, flowers and farm. I could have told you how stubborn Mia has been lately and you could have laughed and told me that she gets it from her mother. And Aubrey would have giggled, because she loved to hear you talk about me when I was little.
There is so much more to say about the Dad and Poppy that you were, but no words that convey just how much you are missed. We hold tight to the memories.
1 comment:
THANK YOU!!! For writing what i have had such a hard time putting into words myself! He is smiling down so proud of you and your beautiful family! I love you. Tricia
Post a Comment