November 2nd has come and gone. That marks another anniversary that I would
rather not celebrate, a milestone that I am not eager to check off. A day I would rather skip all together.
Each year as the date approaches I am filled with memories
and flashbacks of that morning 4 years ago.
I remember the phone call from one of my mom’s employees saying only “I
think you should come here”. I try hard
to remember where my mind wandered in the very few minutes it took me to get the
two blocks from the bank to her store. I
think I was prepared to hear that my grandmother had passed, that it was
Grannie’s time to go and join my grandfather in heaven. But alas that was not the case, the message
that I received on that Tuesday morning was something that I could have never
imagined or prepared for.
2014 has been filled with losses for families in our small
community. There were losses of men
that, similar to my dad, are gone too soon.
They leave behind families that mourn for the void that is now
left. And they also leave behind
questions of why him, why now? My heart
aches for those families knowing all too well the emotions that they are
dealing with. They are going through
that challenging year of firsts without him.
Just last month at a wake service for one of these men I had
a nice big hug from one of my dad’s great friends. In the past 4 years he lost a friend and a brother
in unexpected and tragic ways. And while
the two of us stood in the back of church he put it perfectly when he said “The
selection process is a bit suspect.” He
referenced a question that so many of us have.
Why does God have to take the good ones so early? These men had spent their life working hard
and providing for their families, and they were just beginning to dream of how
their next chapter would be spent: spoiling grandchildren, traveling, and
enjoying a life with no schedules. And why do people like my 96 year old Grannie
remain here on earth when she would give anything to stop suffering and join
her husband in heaven.
Unfortunately it is a question that I can’t answer. I know that God has a plan and while we
question it, I am reminded that he has a higher purpose for all of these life
events. And I just need to continue
remind myself of that.
So another November 2nd has passed. If Dad were here he
would have had a pretty spectacular day, enjoying the fall crisp air that
brought him relief from his allergies, he would have traveled to Omaha to watch
his grandsons battle it out on the football field, all ingredients in a near
perfect day for my Dad. Without him, but
in his memory, we spent the morning at church, the afternoon brought a visit to
the apple orchard, and the evening was spent together as a family enjoying warm
apple pie and wearing slippers because Poppy loved his slippers.
We miss you Poppy!
2 comments:
Well said my sister! Love you adn thank you for reminding me about Dad's love of slippers, it made me smile.
Tricia
Thanks so much for this, Annie- beautiful post. I have been thinking a lot about "the selection process" as well. This year of firsts is hard. Love to you all! --Liz
Post a Comment